Thursday, October 14, 2010

Susan's Wedding Speech

October 15, 2005
Rainer and Trevor

I begin by asking you to take a moment... take a moment, look around at the people in this room, the people who for one day shared this experience together. And let us remember that because Rainer, Trevor chose to respond to love, we are here today. I described to Rainer once my belief that, together we create the most beautiful sculpture – all of us - but only because our shapes are so unique and different. That is how we fit together so as not to slide away. Let us be thankful for our individual shapes for they are what make this picture tonight so perfect.
These two beautiful men are two of my best friends and I am here tonight to tell you what phenomenal people they are to me.

I met Rainer 17 years ago when I walked into my 2nd term drama class. This past week my parents told me that they still remember that day. I came home from school and told them about this man who had made an immediate impact on my life. Rainer, I introduce to a room full of people who feel exactly the same. Rainer was exposed to my dramatic brilliance when I performed my first anthology to Neil Diamond’s Jonathon Livingston Seagull. In reality, I believe his first comment in his critique was, why does a 15 yr. old girl even know that music? It was that piece that inspired Rainer to cast me in the pivotal role of the Do Do bird in Loyola’s first Artsnite. My high school years were made perfect with Rainer as my teacher and then director at Student Theatre. I continued to write him during university, sharing, a multitude of revelations and inviting him and Elaine up to see my various productions. The rest is history- you understand don’t you? Mr. Noack grew to become my closest friend as I grew up. University revelations turned to joys and triumphs, tears and realizations and continue to every single day.

Trevor and I met about 11 years ago and Trevor asked me a question, then he asked me another and another and another. Thus began the progression for about the first 5 years. We were perfect for each other. Trevor is a walking encyclopaedia and when a page needed to be filled with that special piece of information only Sue could provide, I was there. Then the strangest thing happened. We each discovered we had a heart - large ones at that. I long for peace. Trevor is peace. I strive to understand, Trevor understands - and when Trevor’s mind and heart can’t comprehend, I am there to ease the pain. Funny thing about people with big hearts though - they usually fit next to those who can accommodate the size. Trevor and Rainer - you fit to a tee.

I am a romantic, but nothing has continually moved and inspired me as my two friends discovered their love for each other. I have so many memories on this journey but one that is always close to my heart is the night Trevor proposed to Rainer. You see, this moment proved to me that faith prevails and lovers can win. Live a day with Rainer and Trevor and you will see that their love is stronger than the challenges it faces. Some of us find love and face paradise. Trevor and Rainer found love and turned to face the lions. But lions, as all creations - can be taught and we can learn from them.

This one if for Elaine. My feelings can best be expressed from the words of the 1995 film The Bridges of Madison County.

“As one gets older, one’s fears subside (don’t know about that one!). What becomes more and more important is to be known - known for all that you were during this brief stay. Some people search their whole life for this while others don’t believe it exists. We are the choices we have made. You never think love like this is going to happen to you. This kind of certainty comes but just once in a lifetime.”

Honoured guests, look over at Rainer and Trevor. These two people have taught me to look the world straight in he eye, live to the point of tears and that, from a certain pint onward there is no longer any turning back. That is the point that must be reached. My two friends fell in love and invited us to witness their marriage. Please let us always remember today and the gift with which Rainer and Trevor wrapped in compassion and love. I'm in this every step of the way my friends and I am so very proud of you both.

Susan Kemp

No comments:

Post a Comment